Aesthetic injectable products can be used for a variety of purposes from reducing the appearance of wrinkles and folds to contouring the body and improving facial volume loss. There are different types of injectable procedures for different types of patient’s concerns. Some of these skin concerns include:
- Wrinkles & Fine Lines: facial wrinkles, especially frown lines, deep creases, vertical lip lines, and other wrinkle-prone areas such as around the forehead and eyebrows.
- Sagging Skin: aging skin, especially around the cheek area.
- Loss of Firmness or Facial Volume: sunken skin or areas where skin lacks volume.
How Different Types of Cosmetic Injectable Treatments Work
Injectable filler treatments are common solutions for those looking to reduce facial wrinkles and frown lines or promote plumper facial features (such as fuller lips and cheeks). Injectable treatment options are minimally invasive and do not require surgery, resulting in minimal downtime. Some of the most common injectable filler options include dermal filler injections and neuromodulator injectables.
Immediately after receiving an injectable treatment, we recommend using INhance Post-Injection Serum with TriHex Technology®. This award-winning formulation is designed to help accelerate post-injection recovery and minimize unwanted bruising and swelling anywhere on the face or lips, in addition to improving the appearance of skin quality and texture.
Types of Dermal Fillers
Dermal Fillers: Juvederm, Restylane, Sculptra
Dermal Fillers: There are different types of injectable procedures for different types of patient concerns. Injectable dermal fillers can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles by adding volume and fullness to depleted areas as well as helping to restore facial volume and symmetry. When used appropriately, the result can last 6 months or longer, depending on the type of filler injection and placement location.Benefits:
- Plump thin lips.
- Smooth out facial lines around nose and mouth.
- Add volume to hollow cheeks or temples.
- Smooth out the deep creases of folds.
- Improve facial feature symmetry.
Hyaluronic Acid is a substance naturally produced in your body. It helps to hydrate and plump the skin. HA fillers are gel-like substances of varying degrees of firmness to address specific needs for the target areas of facial rejuvenation. The results can last from 6 to 12 months, or longer for some newer HA filler formulations, before the body gradually breaks down and removes the particles. HA facial fillers can also be dissolved, making them reversible if the need arises.
Poly-L-Lactic Acid (PLLA) is a safe, biodegradable synthetic injectable substance. Poly-L-lactic acid products are technically classified as “collagen stimulators,” because their main use, to smooth fine lines, is through helping your skin rebuild its own natural collagen—the filler gel carrier is absorbed within a few days after treatment. Poly-L-lactic acid facial fillers are typically used to treat deeper facial wrinkles and more overall volume loss concerns, and results can last more than 2 years. The only FDA approved PLLA filler is Sculptra.
Calcium Hydroxylapatite is also a naturally occurring substance, found primarily in the bone. When used in a filler, the calcium particles are extremely small and formulated in a smooth gel. The results can last longer as well, about 12 months for most patients. Additionally, Calcium hydroxylapatite has been found to help your body stimulate collagen production and can also be used to correct deeper lines and wrinkles for a smoother appearance. FDA approved CaHA fillers include Radiesse®.
Neuromodulators: ie. Botox, Dysport
Neuromodulators are mixed into a liquid solution and injected in very small amounts into specific select facial muscles, weakening or paralyzing the target muscle which typically lasts for several months. This weakening or paralyzing effect reduces the muscles’ ability to animate in that area and temporarily reduces or eliminates skin wrinkles or folds.
- Soften/eliminate lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, and neck for a smoother appearance.
- Soften furrowed brow (that angry look).
- Elevate brow.
Neuromodulators such as Botox, Xeomin, Jeauveu and Dysport may take several days to have the full effect, however, once the effect kicks in, it typically can last 3+ months before the muscle movement completely returns. At that point, the injectable facial filler treatment may be repeated as desired.
- JUVÉDERM® and their designs are trademarks of Allergan Holdings France SAS or its affiliates.
- RESTYLANE is a trademark of Nestlé Skin Health S.A.
- DYSPORT is a trademark of Ipsen Biopharm Limited.
- XEOMIN is a registered trademark of Merz Pharma GmbH & Co.
- BOTOX® is a trademark of Allergan, Inc.
- Jeuveau® is a registered trademark of Evolus, Inc.
- RADIESSE® is a registered trademark of MyMerz Solutions.